Current Critical Issues in Environmental Law - Green Buildings and Sustainable Development
Mark J. Bennett, Esq., Miller Canfield
J. Cullen Howe, Esq., Arnold & Porter LLP
James L. Newman, Newman Consulting Group, LLC
The era of green building has arrived! With this new pamphlet, you’ll get an overview of some of the leading drivers behind the green building revolution as well as legislative and regulatory efforts to guide its course.
- Find out what makes buildings green;
- Review examples of green building practices;
- Learn about the pros and cons of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) rating system;
- Familiarize yourself with the federal, state and local initiatives applicable to green building; and
- Get practical advice on avoiding risks before entering into green building projects.
A full Synopsis is provided below.
To order call toll-free 800-223-1940 or online at http://www.lexisnexis.com/store/us/ and follow this path: Law Home > Firms & Legal Education > Area of Law > Environmental Law > Current Critical Issues in Environmental Law: Green Buildings and Sustainable Development
- What Makes Buildings “Green?”
- The Environmental Impact of Buildings
- Benefits of “Green” Buildings
Green Building Practices
Leadership In Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®)
- Background and Development
- LEED Rating Systems
- LEED Certification
- Criticisms of LEED
- Transactional LEED Considerations
- First Consideration – Which LEED Rating System Applies?
- Second Consideration – Which Version of LEED Applies?
- Third Consideration – What is the Rating Goal Within the Particular Rating System?
- Fourth Consideration – Long-Term Compliance
Federal Government Initiatives
- EPA’s Energy Star® Program
- The Energy Policy Act of 1992
- Executive Order 13123
- Executive Order 13423
- Sustainable Buildings Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- The Energy Policy Act of 2005
- The 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act
- Publicly Owned or Financed Buildings
- Aspirational Legislation
- Laws and Initiatives Mandating Implementation of Green Building Standards
- Privately-Owned or Financed Buildings
- Aspirational Legislation
- Legislation Mandating Implementation of Green Building Standards
- Legislation Affecting Both the Public and Private Sectors
- Green Building Tax Incentives
- State Energy Codes
- Municipal Laws and Regulations Regarding Public Buildings
- Municipal Laws and Regulations Regarding Private Buildings
- Municipal Laws Affecting Both Public and Private Buildings
Legal Issues Involved in Green Construction
- “Green” Certification
- Liability for Design Professionals
- Selection of Design Professionals
- Accurate Survey of Existing State and Local Green Building Legislation
- Incorporating Green Elements into Construction Adds Additional Layer of Complexity
- Warranty and Guaranty Language
- Negotiating Agreements
- Performance Contracts
Bibliography & Internet Directory
Architects, Engineers and Designers, click here.
Building Owners, Developers, Facility and Maintenance Managers, click here.
Optimized Building Solutions and PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy), click here.